Friday, August 10, 2007

a letter to health insurance providers

Dear health insurance providers,
I just spent my entire night applying for one of your health insurance plans and was denied coverage. I reviewed my application again, to make sure that I didn't accidentally click Yes for malignant tumors, but saw that I indeed filled it out correctly. In fact, the only thing I clicked Yes to was current medications (Paxil...ooo, scary!) and a PREVIOUS medical condition which was TREATED FOUR YEARS AGO and was ANOREXIA, not AIDS. Are you really going to deny me coverage just because I want you to pay $60 per year for my softcore anxiety medication? It's not like I fucking need Xanax or something. Fine, I don't even need you to pay for my prescriptions. The only thing I want you to do is cover my ass in the case of grave medical emergency, for which I am just as much at risk as any other person, regardless of my previous association with eating disorders. Did I mention it was four years ago? Did I mention that, from your perspective, it was totally not a big deal? Maybe if you had a cute little box on your application to indicate that my disorder was completely in remission, then you would know that I'm not as high-risk as you think I am. Because you discriminated against me right off the bat without considering that it was FOUR YEARS AGO and IS OVER WITH, I suggest that you give me the plan I requested, with lower co-pays, free prescriptions, and free ice cream, effective tomorrow. Thanks.

Full of hate,
Siobhan

P.S. My request for ice cream should be ample proof to show you that my previous condition is over with.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home