Thursday, July 13, 2006

crazy liberal grandmas

In my job I get to listen to recorded conversations that subjects have with their interviewers. You'd think that these 30-minute conversations would tend to be pretty similar from subject to subject, "where are you from" and "how many siblings do you have" and "do you like dogs" sort of conversations. I have no idea where they got the subjects that they got, because it's like hiding in the confessional booth where neither the priest nor the confessant is aware of your presence, and you can hear every sordid detail of their lives. These people tell you about everything they ever did, everyone they dated, all about why they think homosexuality is a sin...(!?!?!)


My favorite speaker though, is one that has a rather old-sounding voice, and has some kind of Midwestern accent that marks her as older (she has voiceless w in "what" and "which", etc). Because she sounds older, and because she spends one entire file complaining about how kids these days are exposed to way too much violence on TV and in movies, and "when I was a child, we didn't have a TV", I pictured her as this kind of inoffensive, old church lady whose biggest excitement in life was to switch brands of crackers. Then I listened to another one of her files that I hadn't listened to before, and the conversation had become more political...and then she's talking about how an ideal world would include true communism, how she lived in a kind of commune, how she thinks eating meat is wrong...I have no idea where the hell this lady is coming from. All I can say is that the 60s must have been very strange.

1 Comments:

At 10:04 PM, Blogger X said...

You'd rock as Batwoman.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home