Friday, November 10, 2006

eeeeeee

People in the department here do this thing whenever they enter either the department lounge or the phonology lab: an "are you cool?" scan. They look around the room incredibly rapidly to see if there's anyone there worth talking to, but if there isn't, they looked so quickly that there wasn't enough time to make eye contact, which would lead to awkward conversation. I do this sometimes, but I'm not fast enough, so sometimes I end up having these awkward moments.

Went into the phonology lab to return the lab key and wondered if I was the only one in there or if there was something going on in there that I was disturbing. I scanned the room and at first didn't see anyone, but then at my side I saw a person. My glasses blocked most of their face, so I thought it was another lab student, and I said, "Oh, hi..." and it ended up being a certain retired phonetician of great honor and fame. He doesn't know who the hell I am, so he had this blank look on his face of "I don't know who the hell you are" when he returned my hi.

You don't just go up to retired phoneticians of great honor and fame and say hi, like they're just any normal person!!! Especially if you've never taken a class from them!!! If the retired phonetician of great honor and fame decides to talk to you, you should count your blessings and pray that you don't say anything dumb, but you don't go and start talking to him!!!

Idiot... [Napoleon Dynamite voice]

1 Comments:

At 1:36 PM, Blogger MM said...

I'm sure all is well... and that great phoneticians of unmesurable honner appreciate casualness every now and then.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home