Thursday, August 16, 2007

cowtown sightings

This story isn't going to be surprising in any way, and it would probably be funnier if you knew the people involved in the story, but I had a good laugh about it.

My mom went to the supermarket (SaveMart) in town (yes, THE supermarket. There is another one, but no one goes there.) She ran into a woman there that with whom we used to attend church (before we left the church in protest of the Evil Priest that made everything all holy roller) and they started catching up as we haven't seen them in six or seven years. My mom asked about her four kids and was shocked that they were already in high school. The woman asked how I was doing and my mom told her that I graduated and moved down to San Diego.

Before I continue, I'll paint in the background a little: We're Episcopalian, right, so we're basically the most liberal of the Christian denominations. While Cowtown is basically the Texas of California, it is still in California, and Cowtown residents don't have ALL of the crazy old-fashioned hangups that Texans do. I know this because when I met K, a Texan, I was shocked by his childhood experiences, and was pleased that Cowtown was at least less backwards than somewhere else.

Anyway, the woman asked about what I'm up to now and my mom said that I'm planning on working for gay and lesbian rights. The woman says, "Well, of course, I mean, 'they' have rights too..." Then my mom said that I was engaged to be married in a year or so, and the woman quickly cut in--

"Not to a ... woman...?" She laughs nervously.

My mom assured her that no, I was not a lesbian, that my working in the LGBT community was merely something I'd been interested in doing for a long time, and that I was indeed engaged to a very nice young man.

Groan.

2 Comments:

At 9:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, but come on...anyone with loose enough morals to be around those people is probably sinner enough to lie about being one of them, too. Nobody is buying your family's desperate attempt to cover up the shame you have brought it.

 
At 6:04 PM, Blogger MM said...

Ha!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home