Tuesday, September 25, 2007

grrrreat success! [high five]

Thanks to all my well-wishers; your happy thoughts helped a lot, because I passed my driving test!

Your friend Siobhan is now a licensed CA driver! Did you ever think it would happen?

Take a moment to really let that sink in!

I was pretty nervous, but not as insanely nervous as I was the first time around. I probably knew deep down that it wasn't going to be that bad, and that I *really* needed to get it to transport myself to my tutoring gig the next day. (!) But I just told myself that it was just a little something that I had to take care of in San Ysidro. The examiner wasn't terribly mean, just overdramatic, and almost failed me even though I was driving nearly perfectly. Every time I braked she jostled around and acted like I was slamming to a halt each time, and would emit a forced puff of air when I started again. When we returned to the DMV she gave me a litany of things that I did wrong (some of which I KNOW I didn't do) but passed me on a 13 out of 15 possible errors. She condescendingly told me that I probably needed a lot more practice and that I needed to get more accustomed to my car, bla bla. Whatever, bitch: you're just an ugly, disgruntled DMV employee. And I still got my license.

I still really cannot believe that I have a license, because I began to believe that I was, by definition, licenseless. But I just went in there and did it, and laughed at myself for creating this Lifetime movie-like drama around the whole thing. After I failed it the first time, I probably could have just gone back in there the next week and gotten the license, and not turned into a fraidey-cat 23-year-old with no license. But, that's just another one of the quirky things about me that you have all come to love, right? I'm mad at my parents for not just making me do this when I was in high school so that I wouldn't be just learning to drive at 23, because at this age I'm expected to be able to do this without any problem. In any case, I did it, it's over with, and now I can be a real adult.

Today, I had to drive by myself for the first time...K tried but really could not drive with me to my tutoring gig so I had to drive myself, the day after I got my license...Last night we drove the route to the person's house twice so I wouldn't have to worry about figuring out where I was going. Thanks to that, I was totally fine, and didn't even have spasms when entering the freeway like I used to when I first started to drive. I'm such a big girl now!!!

Next on the agenda: getting a big girl bed without guard rails! I'm really excited about this next milestone. It's hard to decorate around a crib.

8 Comments:

At 9:58 PM, Blogger Laurel said...

lolz -- and congrats!!! You're probably a better driver than I am at this point. The most driving I've done in the past 20 months is when I moved in August, and that was literally 2 blocks up the street and back down again. I think freeways would probably put me into full-blown panic mode at this point. I miss overconfident teenage Laurel. But think about it, our carlessness these past few years has made the Earth so happy. Go Earth!! Hey, why don't you just get a bike instead?... ;)

I like the Borat allusion in the subject line

 
At 11:16 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Look, there is a woman in a [kja:r]! Can we follow her? And maybe make a sexytime?

 
At 10:47 AM, Blogger Taking it like a man said...

Piece of cake! Congrats

 
At 12:35 PM, Blogger siobhan said...

L: Um, no bikes. Bikes are death machines. Machines de la mort. I found this out when I was nine and fell off my bike onto my dad, which caused him to fall off his bike. Never again.

W: Women are allowed to drive a car wherever they please and have sex with whomever they choose!

Alex: Thanks!!! You made me feel a lot better the night before the test. It helped a lot :)

 
At 12:54 PM, Blogger MM said...

YAY!!!! I knew you could do it! Now we can go on a roadtrip to Baja. Rosarito Beach: Here we come!

 
At 5:37 PM, Blogger quoter said...

Congrats, you're licensed! Does this mean you can stop writing asterisks in front of your name?

 
At 7:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wha...? Is not good for me!

 
At 10:52 PM, Blogger mina said...

YAY! Now come to LA. I just found a great Vietnamese place that's practically walking distance. So you would really only have to drive up here.

In all seriousness, what are you doing next month? I am off-track and free from about the 13th through Halloween. If you're not coming up here, I am getting my no-license-having self on a bus and coming down there.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home