Thursday, January 19, 2006

minesweeper sucks

Fuck: I had to calling Billing and Payment Services and their line was busy for freaking ever so I decided to play some Minesweeper until the lines cleared. I never realized how depressingly hard that game is. I've played since I was little but only now did I actually figure out how to skillfully play the game. I actually counted all the little numbers and checked to see how many proposed mines they were touching, and I came soooo close to winning. I could smell my victory over the game. I envisioned passionately happy phone calls to my parents, who have also been frustrated by the game in the past, telling them that I figured out how to do it! I am the underdog! But then, during all the glory, I made a stupid assumption, when I was on my last flag, that the 4 and the 1 must be making reference to the same mine, because they were close to each other. BUT I WAS WRONG. Never make assumptions in Minesweeper! Doubt yourself until the bitter end. My victory smelled so sweet, even sweeter in comparison with my foul defeat, cruelly.
On the up side: Finally I got through to Billing and Payment Services, and they said I wasn't actually "dropped from the rolls" and that my grades "should" be posted online. I don't believe them, but if the computer system says I'm fine, then I should be fine. I feel silly now for all the hysterics and hyperventilating and I'm-going-to-jump-out-the-window threats I put forth last night. I fucking hate you, UC Berkeley administration!

4 Comments:

At 6:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does the computer keep track of how many mines you have left, or how many flags you've put down? I thought it told you somewhere. Even if it doesn't, I think there's a consistent number of mines per level, so you could conceivably keep track.

 
At 10:19 PM, Blogger siobhan said...

No, it only keeps track of how many FLAGS you have left. So you can kind of keep a count of how many mines there are, because if it says 1, and it is only touching one square, etc. But I got it down soooo close, to like nine out of ten flags, and then I was wrong on one of them. Because I'm sure you really wanted to know all of that.

Omg I watched "A Baby Story" while I was eating lunch and there were cute little baby girls!!! They were ADORABLE! With bright blue eyes! I thought I would pass it on.

 
At 10:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Babies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 
At 5:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had forgotten minesweeper existed. Now I can add it to my already impressive list of ways I waste time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home