Monday, February 20, 2006

transcription woes

Dear crazy author and editor of Indo-European Language and Culture,

I am a poor little student of Indo-European languages. I have very much reading to do. You have no idea how discouraging it is to sit down with your book to tackle some tasty correspondence sets when all of a sudden, there are some symbols that I cannot interpret. I realize that it is your intention to preserve the writing traditions of the respective languages that you present to me, but do you think you could have an explanation of terms, perhaps? Little footnote? An appendix? Something? I have dealt with the fact that in linguistics I will never know what j means until its value is stated specifically, but it's everything...the unidentifiable cedillas under vowels, the j issue, and freaking written c's (that you graciously later tell me represent k). Can't you do that for all of your ambiguous symbols? So I don't run around my apartment like a mad woman screaming, "Is it a postalveolar affricate or a palatal glide??!?!?" Or here's a thought: Use the damn IPA! That's why it is there!!!!!!!

1 Comments:

At 5:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah that's annoying! Probably trying to be different or something...hehehe

 

Post a Comment

<< Home