Saturday, February 04, 2006

Encounter with creepy men

As Prathna has her regular installments of "Conversations with Ashok", I like to have a semi-regular storytime of encounters I have with creepy men. Partly because I wish to warn the ladies, partly because of the incredulity of these happenings.

"The Foot Rubber"

Claire's 21st birthday was last week and to celebrate, we all assembled to go to Club Montero's to go salsa dancing. I was very excited to have built-in opportunity to dance at a SLUgS gathering, since at our house parties the dancing only occurs a) after people are sufficiently sloshed, and b) if Alex and/or Margaret are there. I put on my prettiest party dress (it was green and it twirled A LOT when I spinned!) and met the crew down there. We had Alex, Sepi, her amazing friend Jason who came to my rescue later in this story, Claire, Yuichi, Jimmy, and other friends of Claire's. I thought that our group would be all organized in one place in the club, so that if I didn't want to dance, I could just sit with my Alex, but we were pretty scattered, which meant if you weren't dancing, you were wandering around alone looking for the other people. And that is what created the problem.
After I danced with Alex for a bit, I went to get a drink, came back, and no one was there...so I sat on this little bench where random people had been gathered before. I pretended to be very involved with my drink. But that didn't stop...the Foot Rubber.
So there I am, sipping my drink, minding my own business, when this really creepy guy comes over to me and extends his hand to me, implying his desire to dance with me. The man is super red in the face and he looked incredibly drunk. Not wanting to get involved in that, I politely declined and said, "I'm sorry. My feet really hurt right now, so I think I'd better sit this one out." He kind of looked away, then extended his hand again. I thought I should just repeat what I said, but louder, so I said, "My feet are really killing me. I can't dance right now. But thank you." He kind of stood there for a while, looking at me in an evaluative manner. Or completely blankly. I couldn't tell. The staring went on for a long time. I then tried to send distress signals to Sepi and her friend, who were dancing nearby, and after a couple of tries, they saw my look of sheer terror and came to my aid. Jason sits down next to me in a "she's with me" manner and says, "Dude, she said she can't dance right now. Her feet really hurt." Our little drunk friend then looks at my feet, bends down and begins to caress them. I retracted them like claws, and just looked at Jason because what the hell do you do when a man caresses your feet in a club???
Then he tried saying the same thing in Spanish, which just received more blank looks. A staring contest ensued. Jason then simply shakes his head, perhaps thinking gestural communication was more his thing. At that, drunk guy lightly hits Jason with the back of his hand on his shoulder. Jason stood up and was like eight times taller than him, but drunk guy then just hits him again at his hip. At that point, I was getting really freaked out, because drunk guy was completely unpredictable. This attracted the attention of the guy that was standing next to me, by his girlfriend, and he joined in the effort to rid me of the Foot Rubber. He said something like "leave them alone, she's not going to dance with you", which made drunk guy lightly hit this man on his shoulder, in the same manner. We were all now dumbfounded, and kind of kept looking at each other, and at drunk guy, and at each other again. Finally I just started talking to Jason privately, ignoring drunk guy, and he slowly slithered away.
WHAT THE FUCK?
I learned later that this same man had previously tried the same thing on Sepi, who was too nice to say no to him, so she ended up dancing with him, which led to him nuzzling his greasy head full of hair gel and sweat at her neck, and then grabbing her ass. Jason had to swoop in to her rescue too.
Here is the lesson of the day:
Make Alex pretend to be your boyfriend whenever you go out.

6 Comments:

At 7:35 PM, Blogger MM said...

OMG! That sounds totally scary. I'm so sorry you had to go through that. Men can be creepy!!!

 
At 12:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My appologies on behalf of my gender. On second thought, this might not have been a man at all. If movies have taught me anything, this was clearly some extraterrestrial inhabiting a greasy body and trying to feel out (no pun intended) the social customs of earth.

 
At 10:56 PM, Blogger siobhan said...

That's not a bad hypothesis. He never spoke a word through the entire exchange, but clearly he had (if your hypothesis is correct) picked up something about human communication:
1) You can get girls by asking them to dance.
2) If you don't get you want, hit someone.

 
At 12:34 PM, Blogger X said...

I agree...Alex should be a staple to large groups of girls going out.

 
At 3:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is amazing!!! What a creepy man! Not only that, but stubborn. bad bad combination.

 
At 9:56 PM, Blogger Alan said...

I say next time you go, you just walk around barefoot outside for a few hours first. Push some dirt under the toe-nails...that sorta thing. Usually works for me when creepy men try to rub my feet. Get some mace, try it on his face (hey that rhymes!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home