Thursday, March 23, 2006

i don't have three arms

So because of the lack of response to my millions of emails, I could not find any Hindi speakers for the experiment, and when I told this to my professor, he got all jazzed about a new project and now wants me to do that. He threw out the old project before I could finish telling him my troubles. But like half an hour ago, one of the people I emailed about participating in the Hindi experiment said he would be available to record tomorrow....so I asked my professsor about it and he told me to record him. Nevermind my own assignments to turn in before Spring Break or anything like that. Unlike Prathna, I am not Superman.

BUT I get to see the Klinton on Sunday!!! I miss him so much when I have so much stuff to do in my life.

By the way, my yoga teacher said that the recitation of "om" (or more traditionally, "aum") and its frequencies gave us all of the sounds and all of the languages of the world. I suppose you could stretch it to be partly true, that the primordial aum created all of the energy that is used and reused in speech, and it is supposed to have a low/back, middle, and front sound...but what about the fricatives and implosives? Another ling student friend of mine is the class with me and when the teacher said this I glanced over at my ling friend, knowingly.

I <3 phonetics!

1 Comments:

At 4:25 PM, Blogger klinton said...

i didn't know you had a ling student in your yoga class!

very cool about the person who wants to record, though. I'm sure it won't take long...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home